SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running Aground
Thread: Running Aground
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Best grounding story (and getting off story) I have happened in Clifton Harbour on Union Island in the Grenadines. It is a very busy harbour because it is where you check in or out of St Vincent and the Grenadines going to/from Grenada to the south. We were anchored there after doing our shore visit on a lovely, sunny day when a gorgeous, Oyster (53?) came motoring into the middle of the harbour at about 6 knots. Those who have been there might remember that there is a large reef in the middle of harbour with deep water all round - pretty much all filled with anchored and moored boats. There was no excuse for hitting this reef - it is clearly on the charts and on this sunny day was looking that dirty yellow-brown colour with lovely turquoise all round.

The Oyster stopped very quickly and within less than a minute the boat boys started to appear - like piranhas when the hunk of bloody meat goes in the water (did I say that Union Island had the most agressive boat boys we saw in the Caribbean?). Within less than 10 minutes there were 13 of these boats, each with a good-sized outboard, pushing the boat, pulling it, pulling the mast over sideways (two boats for that). He got off pretty quickly but Boat US it was not. No idea how much it cost him, but should never have been there in the first place - think he went there because there so many boat anchored around the reef in the somewhat limited deeper water so he went where there was not traffic.

The capper is that the reef is called 'Roundabout Reef' and the boat was called 'Roundabout'. It was almost like it was pre-ordained. I hope there is no Ainia Reef anywhere in the world.

Last edited by killarney_sailor; 01-18-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook