SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan 24
Thread: Morgan 24
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012

gpwil3847 is on a distinguished road
Visit to the boatyard. Felicity is up on the blocks, hull has been pressure washed and scraped. I did a walk around tapping and looking. Sure enough the centerboard is completely gone - But the bronze plates and screws holding the centerboard pin and the pin are intact and waiting for my new board to arrive, need to order the CB cable also won't be cheap and while i have probably all the information I will need on the internet - you never know if there is something different about the fittings on either end that must fit and accept the correct size clevus pin or all that money will be wasted potentially. Unfortunately the yard had the keel only inches from the ground so I could not see up into the trunk to measure or look at anything on the end of the pennent tube dang it! I may have to take my chances?? The larger issue is a 5" crack inset about 1/8th inch right below the waterline above the area of the sink drain - I was correct the hull was indeed weeping in that area under the sink - it wasn't a leaky toe rail screw after all! I do not believe this is a major problem, I believe some coarse sanding and several layers of fiberglass and cloth probably less than 12" in width should fix this as the crack ends apruptly and is just about 5" long - apparantly the impact was the end of a blunt object - as if someone took a heavy metal mallet and slammed it into that area. Internally as I stated there was only some weeping, the damage is deep but did not appear to be wider than the 5", and could have sunk the boat if it had been much harder. would have need probably some fabric, a piece of plywood and a 2X4 to hold it in place while working the bilge, or perhaps tying fabric over the hole from the outside like in the movie Master and Commander - fothoming or something like that along with working the bilge. Not sure a wood cone would work - would have to be an extremely large cone. Oh well, the good news is the rest of the hull is very sound!!!! Hooray!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook