SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slow down when docking!
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Can your wife drive the boat?
Believe it or not, I usually have a crew member drive my boat into the slip.
I thought I was the only one who did this.

If they have never been on a boat before I let them steer a little and handle the throttle before the big event.

I'll make sure they can slow down, speed up, get to neutral, turn right and left and that is all they need to do.

I tell them step by step what to do, and of course we are coming in slow enough and I'm only 2 seconds from the helm so they really can't do anything I can't fix.

In reality all it really does is save the two seconds it takes me to get from the helm to amidships where I step off.

And like you said it really makes their day and some people can do it themselves after three or four tries. Others it takes a little longer.

Depending on the current and wind and if their is a boat in the slip next door I may not have the two seconds and having a newbie on the helm is too risky but usually it is safe enough.

I have never been able to figure out why the most able bodied person often decides he has to boat steer and the lightest and smallest person is put on docking or anchoring duty.

I guess these guys don't watch old submarine movies where the caption is calling right rudder 10 degrees while looking out the periscope.
The person steering the boat does not have to be the captain.

Last edited by davidpm; 01-18-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook