SailNet Community - View Single Post - A cast of characters - Rocna plot continues
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Drifting slightly, but curious to know if anyone had a Rocna fail (break) under actual anchoring conditions?

Dabnis
Being the owner of a 2009 33lb Rocna most likely manufactured in China, I was following the info being posted on a variety of sailing sites. My Rocna was purchased through West Marine. As it is hard to judge what is fact and what is fiction on the internet I contacted West Marine directly through email and asked whether they had any Rocna's they sold being returned because of damage or failure of any kind. Their answer was that did not have any Rocna's returned because of any structural failures. Their only returns were attributed to poor fits on customers bow rollers, a few tips that were losing their galvanizing material and some returned because of their cautionary announcement relating to the steel used in some of the China made Rocna's.

That is the only first hand knoweldge I have. For you, it's just more 2nd hand internet verbage/gerbage so you might want to confirm with West Marine yourself if you have any concerns. My guess is that they would not continue to sell them if they really believed there was a problem.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook