SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caliber yachts ?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltsan View Post
I have an issue that caused me to pull and rebuild my engine which has been completed. When the yard was reinstalling the engine we noticed that the engine was not in alignment on the seat with the shaft tube, but rather at an angle to being in alignment with shaft tube - the shaft tube was built at an angle we think to accomadate being able to get the shaft out without removing the engine by sliding it out the back and thereby missing the skeg.

I'm thinking im going to realign the shaft tube to make it straight and thereby the shaft will be straight. I am wondering if anyone has seen this, is this a factory install this way or has anyone redone this?

Thanks

That is factory and you are nuts for thinking you should align it. Most builders will offset the shaft to the side that will aid in correcting prop walk. What do you think you will gain by modifying this?

And if you do, how will you get the shaft past the skeg??? Do you really want to move the engine to remove the shaft? And you said the engine was already installed. You would have to pull it again to make the so-called fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 01-19-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook