SailNet Community - View Single Post - Painting in winter
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 01-20-2012 Thread Starter
Painting in winter

Looking for some thoughts on this subject:

I am running behind on my projects- I'm sure this happens to everyone- and it is becoming apparent that I may need to paint the interior of my boat over the winter. Now, I live in Savannah, Ga so my winters are very mild. It has been hitting 68 during the day lately though I don't expect this to last.

My question is this, my paint (interlux) says to only paint when it is above 50F. I believe I can run a heater inside the boat to maintain this even if it only hits 40F outside. However, I am sure that condensation will form as it has already on the hatches during some 40F days with just me inside sanding.

How would I go about doing this? Should I just get all the prep work done and wait until March-April to actually do the painting? During our winters there are many days when it gets above 50F for at least 4 hours. What about timing the painting to be done during this? I would imagine suface temps on the fiberglass do not warm up as quickly so would this create an issue?

SV Salinity
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome