SailNet Community - View Single Post - Painting in winter
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
Painting in winter

Looking for some thoughts on this subject:

I am running behind on my projects- I'm sure this happens to everyone- and it is becoming apparent that I may need to paint the interior of my boat over the winter. Now, I live in Savannah, Ga so my winters are very mild. It has been hitting 68 during the day lately though I don't expect this to last.

My question is this, my paint (interlux) says to only paint when it is above 50F. I believe I can run a heater inside the boat to maintain this even if it only hits 40F outside. However, I am sure that condensation will form as it has already on the hatches during some 40F days with just me inside sanding.

How would I go about doing this? Should I just get all the prep work done and wait until March-April to actually do the painting? During our winters there are many days when it gets above 50F for at least 4 hours. What about timing the painting to be done during this? I would imagine suface temps on the fiberglass do not warm up as quickly so would this create an issue?