SailNet Community - View Single Post - Last Night at the Harvard Club
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So I gotta know. It seems like your objective is to be the "expertest". That's kinda weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
Well, I'll offer the same opinion I did back in Post #567 of the other thread...

I have racked up a considerable number of miles delivering Island Trader 51s, probably less than 1% of them under working sails alone... I'll leave it to you to deduce the likely reason for that... (grin)

Suffice it to say, sailing a Formosa/Hudson/Force 50 in light airs is unlikely to produce a rewarding sailing experience, for most... Furthermore, if you did locate one on the West Coast and wanted to bring it back East, they are not a particularly weatherly boat close-hauled, and beating back out of the Caribbean from the Canal could be a very arduous trip...

Again, if you are serious about looking for a Taiwanese boat of that vintage, I'd strongly suggest you speak to Bob Perry, and consider using his consulting service... I doubt anyone knows more about the variety of boats and the quality produced by various yards in Taiwan during those years than Bob does, and availing yourself of such knowledge could be money very well spent...
Well, Doug solicited opinions about the sailing qualities of a particular 50' design, one with which I just happen to be quite familiar... So, I simply offered mine...

If that seems "kinda weird", so be it...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook