SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dynamic tuning of rig
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
The way I understand it dynamic tuning is done under sail in varying conditions. If so at $100 per hour this could easily cost one or two thousand dollars. I believe most sailors even racers do their own dynamic tuning.
Dedekam stresses that tuning under sail must take place in winds that will heel the boat 20 to 25 degrees before the seas build up. Tough to coordinate that with a Rigger! In addition to saving money, it's good to DIY so that you understand the principals involved. He also covers Sail tunning which is probably the "dynamic" aspect you are referring to. Being a Windsurfer (where efficiency can mean the difference between sailing and swimming home!), I was shocked at how clueless some Skippers are to proper sail shape in general, much less in changing conditions! For example: there are several options before reefing a Main. I think most racers know this (they certainly should!), but many recreational sailors don't. I sailed with one skipper who's Main was screaming "Tune me, Tune me!", but all he did was look at his GPS and adjust his point of sail to get the (relatively) fastest speed! Not only is this not efficient, it's hard on the boat and crew. Anyway...I digress. The book covers all in short order.

Last edited by L124C; 01-22-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook