SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
The Sailnet built-in search feature is crap. It is helpful to me at least to have the categories so it's less time consuming to find my interest du jour. All of the subjects in one long, in-line list of postings would be a nightmare.
I wasn't clear enough. I wasnt asvocating the elimination of descrete forums. I meant we shouldn't limit participation in Gear and Mantenance to only mechanics any more than having a forum off limits to anyone other than a specific gender.

Quote:
It's kind of not segregation in the pure sense if you have a choice. The women don't have to only post in herSailnet. That said, while I'm comfortable posting in the non-female-centric area, I don't think that all women are. The forum certainly can't provide space to accommodate all personality types, but I recognize that there are women out there who may be entering this sport alone, with no support from family or friends and who may be pushing their personal envelopes to not only do that but to ask questions of perfect strangers. Should we discourage their personal growth by saying if you can't stand the wind get off the deck? I hope not. I've done things in which I've stretched my personal boundaries so I know what it feels like. Sure, the people (women and men) who can't get past the fact that in most cases the gruff responses are sometimes made without regard to gender and aren't meant as an attack against their person but against their approach or theory may drop out, but then there are those who will begin to reach inside themselves and develop their own way of dealing with such responses. They will hopefully come to realize that in life, on these forums, and on their boat when they get there, part of learning and growing and reaching a goal is dealing with obstacles (human and otherwise) and figuring out a way to learn from those obstacles and turn that knowledge into something that moves you forward.

This is what I love about sailing. It's more than just learning how to use the wind and current and all the rest to move a boat from point A to point B. If one is open to it, it's also about opening up one's own mental horizons beyond your expectations.
It's not segregation if we can all post wherever we choose, that's all I'm advocating. We can and do have female only clubs. But then, male only clubs must be embraced as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook