SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1987 Hunter 31 vs. 1988 Hunter 30
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012

jfhervy is on a distinguished road
1987 Hunter 31 vs. 1988 Hunter 30

I never thought I would be looking at buying a Hunter, but with 2 kids and a non-sailing wife these boats seem to fit the bill. I'm not looking at crossing oceans, so the fact that they are production boats is a non-issue (I sail San Francisco Bay). I will singlehand or sail with novices so I need a boat I can easily handle by myself. Not looking at any serious racing, obviously, but may want to do a couple fun bay races here and there. Help me decide which boat is better?

- 1987 h31: extensive modifications were done 10-15 years ago for blue water sailing. The boat cruised from Alaska, all the way down to Australia and back to SF. It feels very solid and clean, but it's now a 25 year old boat. I could feel rust on the chainplate (the base of the rode that goes through the cabin) which concerns me a little. The cabin and engine are pristine. The boat is dry. No autopilot and the electronics are original, the sails are recent and still crisp. The deck needs a serious wash.

- 1988 h30: possibly the cleanest 25 yo boat I have ever seen. It has been very gently used and it shows. The whole boat was cleaned & waxed: looks pretty much line new. The sails are old and may need to be replaced soon, although they have been so seldom used that they may hold for another season or more. The electronics are fairly recent and it has an autopilot. The boat feels light and modern.

Last edited by jfhervy; 01-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook