SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dynamic tuning of rig
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
DougSeabag mentioned that a major lesson he learned from his last boat was the importance of dynamic tuning of the rig.
Welcome back Doug
[I]"2. Tune your rig. :-) What I had no knowledge of was that it HAS to be "dynamically tuned". When we stepped our main mast about 10 months before we headed East, without having dynamically tuned it after that, in effect, I did a lot more damage to our boat than if I hadn't stepped it at all.
[I]
The way I understand it, nothing HAS to be done if you don't want to do it. As for "dynamically"(under load and conditions) tuning one's rigging depends on varying factors. Type, size, condition, use and age of ones standing rigging. But the stepping of the mast doesn't require dynamic tuning.

Quote:
The way I understand it dynamic tuning is done under sail in varying conditions. If so at $100 per hour this could easily cost one or two thousand dollars. I believe most sailors even racers do their own dynamic tuning.
This is quite true on all levels. If you have the money go for it, but self tuning can be done with a little knowledge, the right tool(s) and help from somebody who knows what they're doing.
I'm not sure what everybody else does, but we check the rigging (with a gauge) once a month or if there's a big temperature change, especially the backstay antenna. As our boat has an adjustable mizzen/main backstays through the triadic so I'm always keeping an eye on the shrouds and their adjustment(s) and tune them periodically depending on our sailing conditions. One thing's for sure, if you find them rattling away in their chain plates while at dock, you might want to attend to your rigging.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook