SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dynamic tuning of rig
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Since I have every book on sailing I'll just go look that one up.
Thanks

It is illustrated with pictures on every page.

I'm still waiting to hear from Doug as to why he figures rig tuning caused him to loose his boat assuming I understood his post correctly.
Since Doug wrote that a chainplate failed, I would guess that he is attributing at least some of the cause to shock loading from loose shrouds.

When we replace a rig, we do what we call a static or dock tuning. Meaning that we make sure the mast is in column, has the original amount of rake, (unless the customer wants it changed), and that the top of the mast is as close to the middle of the boat as possible.
Then we tension the rigging according to a what we feel is appropriate and instruct the customer to take her sailing and check the tuning in various wind conditions and points of sail.

There is a certain amount of initial stretch with new wire and all new rigs should be re-tensioned after the boat is sailed a few times and then checked once in a while while under sail.

Tuning is something that everyone should be able to do on their own boat if they plan on crossing oceans.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook