SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on a Hunter 37-Cutter?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
The 37 cutter was one of Hunter's best designed and executed boats as far as I can tell. Note the inward-turning hull/deck flange, for example. Much stronger and less likely to be damaged by passing pilings or other vessels than the outward-turning flange that they (and other lesser quality builders) typically use. It's bolted AND gooped up. If you look from the inside you can see it. The fiberglass in the hull sections, especially towards the bow, does have some large, flattish, relatively unsupported areas. Look for stress or fatigue cracks around the perimeter of these areas. They could mean trouble down the road. Have your surveyor provide more detail about this for you. The plastic ports and hatches are leakers. When you tighten them down, the plastic bends, and they leak. Baking in the UV from the sun, they become brittle and crack. Replace them all and be dry and happy. Down below the layout is roomy and sensible, providing a lot of private spaces as well as areas for groups to enjoy. The seats are comfortable, too. The head/shower setup provides lots of room for showering when you need it by using the passage to the forward cabin for the shower. This cuts off the passageway forward while someone's showering, but it actually makes a lot of sense to use the space that way. When you're showering, you either don't need to get into the forward cabin too much, or it's your cabin, and you can open the door to it if you like, once you've turned off the water. There's no reason to allocate that much space for a permanent shower stall that only serves as a shower stall. I recall a small quarter-cabin as well, which enables the boat to host two couples or a couple with children very easily. On deck the cockpit is comfortably deep without being too big - a danger in rough seas. The sheer line is pretty, and echoed in the curve of the cabintop. The boat seems to sail well, and has a reasonably quick PHRF rating for a cruiser. I can't remember if there's a skeg on the rudder or not. If there is one, that can help ease steering by making the boat track better. The draft is moderate, so you can explore lots of places despite having a decently large and comfortable boat. One example I knew had a dodger/bimini setup with side curtains that was almost like having a pilothouse. I guess they used to go out on Christmas or something. If I was looking for a good cruising boat and was concerned about budget issues, the Hunter 37 cutter would be near the top of my list.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook