SailNet Community - View Single Post - Last Night at the Harvard Club
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Welcome back Doug.

I'm not surprised that all the yachties wanted to talk with y'all about was the disaster. I've only ever met one person who has swum from a lifeboat to a freighter (you belong to a small fraternity my friend). He was a doctor that I worked briefly with. What did I do when he told me that he sunk his boat offshore and was rescued by a tanker? I asked him when and where I could meet him for the story and what the price was. It happened to be 4AM in the ER (and the price was coffee) as he was getting off shift, so I got up at 3AM to hear the story.

Why did I do that, when most other yachtie's stories I could take or leave? Because I'm obsessed with the possibility of things going wrong. We all are.

How many threads on sailnet are about safety gear, the best boat for offshore storms, storm tactics, drogues vs para-anchors etc etc etc.... Few threads on sailnet are about the perfect margarita recipe. Why? Because we're all obsessed with the big, scary, looming "What IF?"

Well "What IF" rarely happens, so we are left to obsess about it in the absence of first hand knowledge. "What IF" actually did happen to you, so everybody wants to hear all about it, and get first hand answers about their own personal fears from the oracle himself.

It's a pity that we're all so disaster obsessed, but we are. I think it's a cultural thing of our time. Too much TV and sensational news I supect. We're so much more obsessed and scared of the remotely possible events, like airplane crashes, terrorism, or rare plagues (but never real risk like high cholesterol or heavy car traffic) that it impedes our ability to enjoy life I fear.

In any case, to a sailor, you are like a 9/11 twin towers survivor is to an office drone. Everybody will want to hear your story, and everybody will want YOU to address THEIR version of what they fear most. Unless you want to keep the fact that you did have that experience quiet, you're going to run into the Harvard Club experience a lot.

I wish you well in your boat search. I hope that even though you lost your beloved Triumph, you can still enjoy the thrill and possibility of searching for, and falling in love with another boat again.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook