SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fire Onboard, Very Close Call!
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
Something I will check on any similar stove I get from now on, you don't have to make the whole hose copper, but make a drip loop before the coupling adapter. That way it doesn't run all the way down the hose.
That is a great idea Capt. Bill. So is the stainless braided hose or cover. I think I will try the drip loop with a foot or so of copper and then connect it to the rubber fuel hose. That seems to allow some movement for the gimbal without stressing the copper. All of the tubing on the stove at purchase from Taylors is 1/8" copper which seems fine. It however does not move and suffers no stress issues.

I really feel that even with the leak, had the rubber hose been further from the stove it would not have melted and the result would not have been as serious.

I have used a wet towel before on an alc stove top and it works well. In my case the fire was under the stove with a small clearance. No room for a blanket there, and the extinguisher was at arms length. The fire in the rear was at the very bottom of the compartment where the hull slope meets the vertical cabinet back. I had no towel in reach and no time to water soak it and throw it into the hole. I was also concerned with the possible damage to the hull glass on which all in the compartment was laying. I feel that I had only one choice under these conditions.

I do however have choices from now on, and will try to plan better should the occasion arise. Better fire extinguishers, a handy blanket, fire jell, fuel supply loop in copper or stainless. Thank You All!

Last edited by Leocat66; 01-23-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook