SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gripes and Likes on V17's
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012

jetboy is on a distinguished road
If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. My lazy jacks are really simple. Just rope. I added a regular dock type cleat (not sure the correct term) about 8' up the front of the mast where I can reach easily, then added two small ones on the bottom of the mast. The rope is basically two loops from the cleat on the mast down to two different spots on the boom. When I'm sailing I can either leave em on, or just drop them off and let them hang.

If I had some better pictures I'd post them. Maybe when I set it up for the first time this spring if I remember.

I think the 5hp would be really nice. One possibility for fuel, would be an extended fuel line run down inside the hull up to the cockpit area. Of course you'd have gas in the cockpit and it might smell though. When I first bought mine I used an electric trolling motor and I put the battery inside right next to the keel housing and ran some heavy guage wire back. I drilled two holes back near the motor and put a positive and negative post terminal on the back of the transom with wing nuts. It made the trolling motor a lot easier to use. I was thinking the same could be done for a remote fuel tank.

One other thing I liked about adding the hobie 14 mast is that it's about 1' taller, and allowed me 1' more headroom under the boom. The boom swing is kinda low. Watch your head!

Last edited by jetboy; 01-23-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook