SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bringing the hound along
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road
If you want to, you can sail with any dog. We spent the summer on Hobie Cats with an Icelandic Sheepdog less than a year old. He was much happier on the slower Getaway, especially after he figured out he could pee on the front trampoline. I knew I wanted him to do his business on a boat eventually so I worked on getting him to pee on command since we got him.

He's less enthusiastic about the Tiger when it really gets moving. It's not really a problem until he tries to climb into my lap while I'm out on the trapeze. He's definitely a velcro dog so only one of us is allowed out on the trapeze at a time now. We tried tethering him but he got the tether wrapped around everything.

He's about 30lbs now which isn't too much to lift and I've seen him jump up & down rocks over 6' tall. It took the whole summer to convince him to like swimming but he's always liked wading or lying in shallow water.

Teaching him "ready about" so he gets out of the way when we're tacking made it so we're not tripping over him at the busy times (he would cross most of the way to the other side, then wait to be told who he could sit with). We're in the process of acquiring a 38' monohull so we'll see how his beach cat experience transfer to larger craft. I think one of the biggest issues is going to be keeping him in the dinghy close to shore now that he likes to swim.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook