SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would this boat make a nice daysailer? SB 18
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012

jetboy is on a distinguished road
The Scarab 18 looks more like what I'm looking for in a tri. It just scares me a bit that it will be too complicated and time consuming to build. I want something I can build in 3-6 months, evenings and weekends and have on the water by August of this summer. I would prefer ply construction as it's easier for me to do quickly if I have all the panels pre-cut. I may have free access to a water jet, but I'm not sure if that's really a reasonable way to cut plywood. I would think it would be, but I really don't know for sure.

Also my parents own a metal fab shop 6hrs away from where I live, so building folding arms from aluminum would be relatively easy for me. I also have most steel working tools including aluminum welding equipment in my garage. Anyway, the folding part is a piece of cake for me. The real issue is in the hull construction and added complexity of building 3 hulls with a lot more work for each one than building one relatively simple hull. The only advantage I see in terms of build time/cost is that building a dagger board is a lot quicker/easier than building a complex drop keel or swinging keel.

Last edited by jetboy; 01-24-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook