SailNet Community - View Single Post - Saga 35 or Crealock 34?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2001

stencil is on a distinguished road
Saga 35 or Crealock 34?

Thank you for your response.

To elucidate further on my situation: my goal is have a boat that is large anough to live aboard during the summer months in Maine and easy enough to sail that I am not detered by my lack of recent experience from taking it on trips down the coast. Eventually as my experience grows I would like the boat to have the ability to take me south (Carribean) and possibly beyond. I do plan on hiring (bribing, coaxing) experienced sailors to show me the way once in the water.

AS for experience: I grew up in Maine sailing a Southern Cross 31 and later a Shannon 38 with my father on weekends in Casco Bay. We did several weeklong cruises down east and part of my goal is to recapture the joy and adventure of those longer cruises. I''d say I was fairly competent with my boat handling skills, especially navigation . . but it has been ten years since I have sailed anything with a keel.

I am leaning towards a new boat because I have heard that it not uncommon to spend another fifty percet of the purchase price getting the boat ready which puts the expense right into the new production boat catagory (I got this figure from Jim Howards Offshore cruising book). Actually, I was not even considering a new boat until I saw the Saga 35 which appealed to me so much I had to rethink my budget, recalcuate loans, etc. I figure I can outfit the boat over time starting with a basic sail-away package as I learn what my needs are. I do realize that 35 ft is a large boat to begin with but the boat must also serve as my residence and being 6''3, I do need ample headroom.

I hope this clarifies my intial query and thank you once again for your reply.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook