SailNet Community - View Single Post - The legacy of Philip Rhodes
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012

Wolfhound is on a distinguished road
Ben Stavis has done a splendid job memorializing a great naval architect & his work. His words obviously come from the heart. Thank you, Ben.

As a boy, I grew up particularly admiring the designs of Herreshoff, of Burgess, of Rhodes, of Stephens, and of Bill Tripp. When in the Newburyport & Boston areas, I heard many stories of Donald McKay, and later listened, absorbed, for hours while my Father argued design with Howard Chapelle at the Smithsonian. Few among the mostly fleeting accomplishments of we humans rise to the level that designing a great vessel does, and all these inspired naval architects were men of genius.

Bob, you may not (yet) have drawn the best of all sheerlines, but your contributions are substantial and lasting, and you've shown yourself worthy to walk proudly in the company of these legendary benefactors of art, and of humanity.

Great music is a matter of balance and proportion and harmony, all of which may be mathematically expressed.

The lines of a well-designed vessel are music molded to move with the mind of the waters.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook