SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Northwest Passage.

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  knuterikt 
#1 ·
Hi,

I would love to do the whole of the northwest passage. Please can anyone recommned, ships that require crew or cargo/work boats that it maybe possible to get on?

many thanks

#2 ·
With climate change there is a renewed interest in the NWP. Most boats up there are, I suspect, government research vessels and icebreakers (check Canadian Dep't of Fisheries and Oceans) and some boats that shuttle goods to coastal communities. Keep in mind that the navigational window is only a couple of months. I am aware of 2 people who did it by kayak over 2 years but that is a whole other undertaking! I would suggest browsing websites for the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut for leads to shipping companies and crewing opportunities. Local papers would be good to check out as well.

Pack a parka :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.