SailNet Community - View Single Post - cruising income
Thread: cruising income
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieg View Post
we will have to let these other sailors know that bubblehead does not approve. i am sure they will consult him for his blessing next time!

travelineasy, so this person that said "that article writers make next to nothing on their work", is talking about a field that he obviously knows nothing of?
I made a pretty good living as a freelance writer for more than 35 years. I was able to purchase a home, support my family, put some money in the bank, and buy a couple boats. At one point I wrote for more than two-dozen publications, some of which you may recognize. The largest newspaper in which I had a weekly column was the Washington Post Weekend Section. I also provided special feature sections for the Baltimore Sun and York Dispatch. Some of the magazines included: Game & Fish, Outdoor Life, Saltwater Sportsman, Field & Stream, The Fisherman Magazines, Ira Black's Noreaster, Chesapeake Bay Magazine, Mariner, and a large number of smaller publications. None of them paid by the page. They all based their pay scales on word count and photos. Now, there may be a publication out there that pays their writers per page, but I just don't know who they are.

It's obvious, at least to me, that most print publications are on thin, financial ice. The page count is much lower than any time I can recall, the number of advertisers has fallen substantially, and the paper quality, with few exceptions, has been degraded to make up their shortfalls. Blogs, which are mostly free, have taken displaced much of the print media space. Additionally, the cost of mailing, which is a major component in the publishing worlds overhead cost, has risen by an alarming rate during the past decade. The increased cost has been passed along to the consumer, which adversely impacts the circulation.

For me, at 71 years of age, I'm still making a good living as an entertainer, but as a freelance writer I'm down to just a few publications now. I guess as long as I can still sing, play my keyboard, and keep audiences on the dance floor I'll still have work. I just got home from a dinner music performance, the person there that books the music jobs wants to book me for Valentines Day, but ironically, that date was booked nearly a year ago. I just wish I were 20 years younger so I could work, and sail, more than I currently do now.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook