SailNet Community - View Single Post - cruising income
Thread: cruising income
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverknow View Post
Hoping I don't high jack this thread here, but are you on the hook, mooring or in a slip most of the time? What kinds of mooring/slip fees are you paying? What's the cost of living like for you?
Mostly on the hook.

While I was commuting to Japan by 777, Aeventyr was in a resort marina(pool, golf cosre, tennis courts, restaurants, bar etc. I paid a year in advance and it worked out to 150 bucks a month.

Slip fees vary between the government run (Jabatan Laut) marinas and private concerns. As little as $130 bucks a month including power and water. Now in Penang it's $240 a month. Up in Langkawi (AKA-God's waiting room) it probably is closer to $400 a month, supply and demand. Thai marina;s up in Phuket are in the 350-400 bucks a month range.

Many, many good places to anchor. Boat projects here for another 2 weeks and then will cruise Langkawi and Thailand for the next 5 months.

Cost of living, can be really cheap. Dinner about 8-10 bucks for 2, no booze. Lunch $5-6 and brekki 3-5, eating like locals of course.

Langkawi is a duty free port, so beer is 8 bucks a case, Stoli 9 bucks a liter, Some gin and vodka as low as 6 bucks a liter. Diesel is $2.20 a gallon. we can buy fresh fruit and veggies for 2 weeks around 20-30 bucks.

500 bucks a month goes a long, long way.....

Maybe you should consider buying a small boat in Langkawi or Singapore? Plenty of decent boats around. Easy cruising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook