SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

MOB doing 20 knots in 30 knots + recovery

6K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Bene505 
#1 ·
Just found this, in which the crew of a Pacer 27 doing almost 20 knots with an asymmetric in 30 knots of wind off Cape Town rescue their skipper, who went overboard in a broach. I was duly impressed.

#7 ·
I doubt they were making that speed after their broach and dousing the chute.... but yeah, you still put some boat lengths between you pretty quick.

In fact, the MOB procedure we were taught in my sailing lessons started off by reaching 20 boat lengths before turning around.

#8 ·
The practices I have seen with thebest results are where you turn the boat around now, like right now and then get sail/motor going. The idea is to minimize the seperation. Yeras ago in Long Beach they used to run some seamansip races where an observer(from another crew) threw a weighted dummy over the side whilethe chute was up without any warning. This was some very good practical experience.

#12 ·
They really should have got their weight aft, two guys were way too forward. You have to keep the stern down.

Also heaving-to with the MOB to leeward is a tactic I suggest everyone try.

#27 · (Edited)
Thanks Jack,

I'll have to try the heave-to method. It seems like it would work under bad conditions, and throwing a line downwind is actually possible.

A MOB pole is on my wish list. Right now, SOP is to throw everything that floats into the water and then continually point to the MOB. By the way, after one practice session, my kids named the practice MOB cushion "Manly". So it's "Manly overboard".

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: AdamLein
#13 ·
I would have liked to see them assign one guy to looking only at the MOB. They were all looking towards him and then back into the boat to do whatever they needed to. Seems like too much likelihood of losing him between looks. Don't know these boats at all - did they really need to have a jib up to get back to him? The approach, even while luffing was still pretty fast.

#14 ·
I thought they handled it well. I remember being out for a sail on a pretty calm evening - 3 aboard a 26' racer. My "then" son forgot to clip the spinnaker turtle to the lifelines so it went over the side when we raised the chute. We dropped the chute and turned around but the turtle was never seen again. It was brightly coloured and about the same size as that which a person presents in the water as well. I seriously doubt it sank in the limited time available but we never saw a thing.

Watching the video though I questioned the 30 knots and building wind claimed - that water was a lot flatter than any 30 knots I've ever been in - that's the bottom of a gale and in the video it looked barely enough to rate a small craft warning. From what I saw it looked more like 15 - 20.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

#16 ·
Watching the video though I questioned the 30 knots and building wind claimed - that water was a lot flatter than any 30 knots I've ever been in - that's the bottom of a gale and in the video it looked barely enough to rate a small craft warning. From what I saw it looked more like 15 - 20.
I had my doubts as well but I suppose they could have been in the lee of the mountains on the cape. I always think that people over-report wind speeds in videos, which makes me think maybe it's my own judgement that's off.

#15 ·
Outboard powered sportboat with the outboard stowed really limits you to being able to sail back

In are drills in Hungition harbor you gotta pretty much be ready to break something on the boat to stop ASAP UNDER Spinaker as at best it's going to be and ugly douse

#19 ·
I agree with Jackdale. Hoisting a jib for MOB seems unnecessary and way too long. What if skipper was hurt or no pfd. Can't imagine the boat handles that poorly under main alone given they couldn't have been far away after the "e-brake" from the broach. Id think Heaving-to would have been better. Definitely has me thinking a few drills are in order this spring!

#20 ·
I feel like by the time they got the chute in and under control they would already have been blown quite a ways downwind from the skipper, and might not be able to heave-to- very well with just a reefed main anyway. It would be hard to throw a line upwind and they'd probably have to make way upwind one way or the other.

#21 ·
Adam

I think that they had the jib up.

Typical downwind MOB, as you mentioned, involves getting some distance between you and the MOB, then coming about and sailing back on a close haul, close reach with the sails sheeted in as much as fesaible.. In the CYA method you come up to windward and luff the sheets. In the ISPA method you come up to windward, sail past and then heave-to.

I like the ISPA method as you are always in control of the boat without a lot of luffing sails and flying sheets. It also works exceptionally well with a life-sling as you can just keep sailing around. Gybing is not an issue with the main sheeted in. You can leave the jib alone.

When I am teaching I teach both methods to cover the standards.

The spinnaker makes life way more complicated.

The MOB pole is a great datum point and should be deployed.

Reactions: Bene505
#23 · (Edited)
With a main reefed to that point in that wind this type of boat won't go to weather, the bow would just blow off. Oh itmight go upwind but it won't go through a tack.As far as wthe wind speed goes the boat has a small chute an deepreefed main ,is doing 19+, and driving the bow through waves. I don't think that you get that in only 20. How hard does it have to blow to get your boat up to that speed?

#25 ·
I wondered when someone was going to pick up on this

How many posters have sailed and owned boats that can sustain 20 knots, and have sailed many days in those conditions? I have. My last boat would really scoot. The most I ever saw was 24 knots. Though I have a cruising boat now, we are not talking about a cruising boat.

Heave to in 20-30 knots? Not in my worst nightmare. Too easy to get knocked flat with no way on. Too easy to blow right over the MOB. These boats have to keep moving.

Jib up? Yes, required to punch waves in that wind. Just a small jib will do.

Too fast on the apraoch? Remember, these boats are VERY manuverable and steer on a dime. There was no risk of hitting the MOB on that aproach and it gave them the best possible control. Also note that the boat quickly stopped when the sheets were eased. Little mass. I've done MOB drills on days like that, and the aproach was textbook, FOR THAT BOAT.

-----------

Good seamanship? Clearly they knew how to handle their boat. They really should have had the hatch closed; sport boats have sunk that way, one very near my home. We always closed up on blustery days. Harnesses? though I am a big believer, they are a challenge on small performance boats at speed. They are a challenge to crew agility, so I understand why they did not. Clearly sailing at 20 knots in a small boat without a chase boat is always asking for trouble. Things happen SO fast. I never pushed that sort of speed more than a few miles out; I want to be certain help was near and that and MOB search would be restricted in area.

But it's a thrill!

#30 ·
Some advantages of heaving to:

• No need to adjust sails.
  • The MOB is protected from waves by the boat.
  • The boat will heel toward the MOB allowing a easier grab of the MOB.
  • The MOB will actually be pushed away slightly from the vessel. (Learned this rescuing a TV antennae off Cape Scott.)
  • If you miss, just turn the wheel hard over and circle back. With sails sheeted in, gybing is not a problem
  • Works well with a life sling.
  • Can be done by one person (upwind easier than downwind) - ISPA instructors have to do both single-handed.
  • No luffing sails and flying sheets.

I can do the CYA methods, I teach them, but prefer the heave to

The ISPA method is called heave-to, sail-to, heave-to. That is the sequence for upwind. It is similar to the quick stop, but the jib is kept up to allow the last heave-to.

Reactions: Bene505
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.