SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dynamic tuning of rig
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Are you sure about that. I was under the impression that if you had a crane cable that was in service for 30 years someone would think about replacing it.

Don't you keep records of replacement and inspections for all were parts? How old are the oldest parts?
Also is shock loading much of an issue?
What is the safety factor engineered in?
Are your parts stainless? The old time riggers say that super heavy iron rigging brushed with tar and oil every day lasts for almost ever and is easy to see if it is rusted and needs to be replaced.
Stainless is much cleaner for sails and decks and can be ignored for months but hides its impending failure better than plain steel that is continually greased.

Your the expert but I suspect that in an industrial setting a 5 year part and certainly a 10 year part just wouldn't even be around. On a sailboat we figure hey it's stainless, looks good and is only 30 years old, lets go sailing.
As far as I know, there is no age limit on certified industrial weight handling equipment. Some of this equipment is used on docks and is made of stainless due to the corrosion environment. One other thing, all industrial lifting equipment does need to be manufactured and tested to certain ASTM standards. I never see these ASTM standards listed for boat hardware- maybe this is the problem- manufacture and quality control has no standards in boat rigging. Some of our cranes date to the 1950 (over 100 ton capacity) and are still working- as long as the cable and rigging pass inspection it is good to go. And yes all the lifting gear is id tagged with test dates and certified wt capacity.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook