I had been talking above about the holding tank
. My 32 year old one was was pretty skanky. The head had been replaced in the summer, along with the lines
, but the brown old tank needed to go.
I had carefully measured the locker, and determined that the Todd 15 gal tank would fit. Westmarine was happy to order it for me. I wrestled out the old tank on a cold day, so any residual nasty contents were frozen into a yucksickle. The removal went pretty easily.
So I go to fit in the new tank, and was disappointed to learn that I did not measure quite as carefully as i thought I had. Due to the nature of compound curves, and their fundmental dislike of rectangles, the box was just a bit too big in the forward port corner. I spent quite a bit of time trying every which way to solve this spatial relations puzzle, but it appeared there was just no way to coerce this tank to fit - and it was SO close. I had a decision to make, return the tank the Westmarine, or act impulsively. This of course was an easy decision. I immediately got going with my heat gun and a hammer.
The heat gun did not deliver enough heat - especially on a cold day in January, so I carted the tank home for more heat. I ended up having my firebug 15 year old heat the tank with a torch, so I could bash it on the concrete floor of my basement workshop. We went a little bit at a time, and it turned out to be relatively easy to sort of cave in the corner an inch or so in each dimension. I ended up smoothing up the melted poly using what else but my newly cleaned and polished propeller
that had been sitting on the workbench. It was like icing a cake. I let the tank cool, did a quick and dirty pressure test, and took the tank to the boat. It fit like a glove. Very happy.
Of course, wrestling on all the hoses to the fittings was a frustrating task, but I got it all done, thanks in great part to the application of personal lubricant.
last remaining bit of the task is the nasty old vent line
. Just ran out of time.