SailNet Community - View Single Post - AIS Unit for Raymarine Chartplotter System
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012

Hello Below is on a distinguished road
Hello from the Pacific West Coast, Canadian side.

Dave, I have just completed installing an ACR Nauticast (Receive Only) in my Tanzer 28. I chose the ACR over the others because of price ($126.90) and more specifically because it will multiplex "all" NMEA sentences vice GPS only like many other AIS units including ICOM 5000. I have a number of instruments that employ NMEA, including Garmin GPS, Raymarine X5 Smart Pilot (fast heading sensor) and a laptop for sending the chartplotter waypoints, routes, etc. Given that the C80 only has 1 NMEA 0183 input, I feed the 3 NMEA inputs through a Raymarine Multiplexer and now through the ACR AIS to the C80. I, at first, thought I wanted a VHF splitter but after giving it some thought I decided against it. I now have a separate AIS (Shakespeare 5250 - $39) antenna for the AIS and will utilize it as an emergency VHF if the need arises. This combined with my Seatalk instruments (ST60 wind, ST60 speed, ST60 depth) plus Raymarine RD218 gives me a lot of info at the helm.

Len
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook