SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dynamic tuning of rig
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
As far as I know, there is no age limit on certified industrial weight handling equipment. Some of this equipment is used on docks and is made of stainless due to the corrosion environment. One other thing, all industrial lifting equipment does need to be manufactured and tested to certain ASTM standards. I never see these ASTM standards listed for boat hardware- maybe this is the problem- manufacture and quality control has no standards in boat rigging. Some of our cranes date to the 1950 (over 100 ton capacity) and are still working- as long as the cable and rigging pass inspection it is good to go. And yes all the lifting gear is id tagged with test dates and certified wt capacity.
.... and most such equipment, etc. used in 'critical' / hazardous / lethal service is routinely retested and validated ... verified/'proofed'.

Its not all that hard for a technically able sailboater to periodically 'proof load' the rigging - I do this routinely to ensure the 'efficacy of remaining strength and safety condition of the wire', etc. I wont divulge how I do this as there are dangers in doing so .... and I live in the USA where there is a voracious 'lawyer problem' ... .

Last edited by RichH; 01-26-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook