SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help us choose a boat, please
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Trimarans have largely fallen out of favour with the cruising world, in part because they are almost impossible to trailer, expensive to keep in a slip and need to be hauled with a crane since they are too wide for most marine lifts, and in part because they are expensive to build in fiberglass. Most of the old cruising designs that fit your budget are cold molded plywood- when built right and maintained they are a very good choice, but they never look as swoopy and shiny as a fiberglass boat. Current trimarans are aimed more at the performance market, and are very quick compaqred to a monohull of the same length. Hell, an old crusing tri is quicker than a monohull of the same length, but much slower than a performance tri, which is another reason why they fell out of favour with those looking for the speed a tri can offer.

SWMBO and I looked at a Piver Trimaran last year. 36 feet long, 19' beam, cutter rigged, with a 15 hp Honda O/B in each ama hull. Still very solid, she was abandoned in northern ontario a decade ago and ressurrected two years ago, sailed to the head of the st. clair river and abandoned again.. Even with all the abuse, her hulls were still watertight and none of the ports or chainplates leaked. The only reason we didn't bring her home for the $3500 in storage fees owing on her is that she is too big for our marina.

I came away impressed by old wood multihulls, which planted the seed to build one myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 01-26-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook