SailNet Community - View Single Post - Roll over survival
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Capsize ratio was #1 on my list of design factors in choosing an Alberg 35 to renovate and sail. It came in WAY ahead of speed, cabin space, and resale value. In the event of an actual 360 degree roll, differentiated from a knockdown, from what I've read, the mast/rigging will almost surely break. The swages/aluminum/s.s. is nowhere near strong enough to absorb the force of water, leveraged against the boat by the length of the rig. Even if you're below, this will require getting on deck to secure the battering ram that is likely still attached by the rigging that did not break. If far from help, saving pieces could be used to jury rig. So, you're going to be tethered to a boat being tossed around by breaking waves, rigging flying about, boat in danger of rolling again with you on deck. Would some sort of small rebreather be a wise thing to have if you ever have to be on deck in these conditions? As long as the hatches and boards are in you KNOW she will right herself eventually. Is it wise to even use an inflatable pfd which may go off at the wrong moment as you're struggling to secure the rig? Do you want one to go off if you're clinging like a barnacle to the inverted boat?