SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trailerable lake boat
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012

Fourbtgait is on a distinguished road
Back after a bit of winter here.
I do agree with Tom3215 and Sealover in that to often people forget the simplicity.
When I review comments of people, the boat size increases, along with the cost in some cases.
My post was to get ideas to go back to the simplicity of sailing, trying to meet as many criteria as possible, full well knowing that not all can be met.
I did get to look at the Kent Ranger 20 last November, beautiful boat, well thought out, the "open cabin" is not such a bad idea, solid fiberglass without a core, yes, I have recored boats before and that is no fun. I would love to have one, another is for sale now that is in excellent shape, but the 2 things that still hold me back is minimum draft is 21", which means when it is on the trailer, it sits higher also. Now some will say "wow, only 21"?, whats the big deal, but when one is looking at simplicity... Sure, it could still be beached, sort of, but it is a larger boat overall than say the oday mariner.
Speaking of which, there is an old style mariner for sale on the coast which meets a lot of the criteria, but a long way to drive to see if in person it "feels" right.
I did finally get to look at the windrose 18, it fit most all of the criteria also, but...he was stuck on his price, period. So I pointed out deficiencies, the swing keel was out of a catalina 22 made to fit, the bow pulpit was off of another boat, the original holes not filled cleanly, the mast was bent, swing keel housing cracked, etc, etc.

So one keeps looking, which is part of the fun or one accepts that in life there is always trade offs, decides what can be traded off, in order to meet simplicity without making life even more complicated.

Sure, I would love to have a larger boat, even a Catalina 27, but then I might as well go a little bigger, I would prefer a 34' boat. But..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook