SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dynamic tuning of rig
View Single Post
post #92 of Old 01-27-2012
casey1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Do you mean using your formula? I'm looking at the book, and don't see "tight as possible" though I certainly could be missing something. For masthead rigs, he says adjust forestay/backstay to a achive rake, then adjust forestay sag (forestay tension, correct?) by adjusting Backstay. He states that boat designers often choose 30% to 40% of the stays breaking load as Max allowable Backstay tension. He says adjust to 30% and mark as Max., then back off the adjustment to 2/3 of Max. I guess using your formula that does bring the forestay over 30% on your boat. Wonder what "boat designers" would say?
Regarding cap shroud tension he suggests pre tensioning cap shrouds to 150kg, (In one example). "Pre tension acts as a shock absorber in variable wind strengths and the masthead is kept under better control."
Yea that is what I was looking at, don't have the book but as you state he mentions boat designers often go to 40% breaking strength for a backstay. Seems high to me as all the other publications (including ones from mast suppliers) I have read never state to go above 30% breaking. Maybe on a race boat where you don't care if you loose the rig after crossing the finish line (in first of course) 40% would be good. The book does state Americas Cup boats typically load the standing rigging to the maximum possible.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome