SailNet Community - View Single Post - bottom fairing and paint
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006

Lecy is on a distinguished road
Is your boat in saltwater or freshwater? Interlux VC 17 is a great freshwater paint but I certainly wouldn't use it in saltwater. Pettit Trinidad (not a performance paint really) or Interlux Baltoplate or VC Offshore are supposed to be great saltwater paints. I'm a Great Lakes sailor so I haven't used either of those myself.

The Interlux Watertite filler is a great 2-part epoxy fairing compound. The Interfill is also a good one and a little easier to sand. The West System Epoxy with the 407 filler is also a tried and true fairing system.

The Interlux Interprotect 2000 is my favorite barrier coat. Don't skimp on coats. You really do need a certain thickness to protect the gelcoat from osmotic blistering (Length x Beam x .85/60 = the number of gallons needed of Interprotect). Also, the time between the last coat of barrier coat and the first coat of bottom paint is critical. Best to apply the last coat of barrier coat in the morning and put the bottom paint on that afternoon. If you use vinyl paints like Baltoplate or Offshore then you need to let the Interprotect cure for 24 hours, then sand and apply paint.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook