SailNet Community - View Single Post - Could she sail the boat if necessary?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012

bchaps is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for your comments.....

Sailing alone is not an option for me. The boat purchase was a joint retirement decision with the understanding if/when one of us no longer finds sailing to be fun, the boat is on the sales block.

And yes, we have discussed this at length, but presenting the need does not necessarily evoke a response...at least it hasn't in our situation. However, she does enjoy sailing, and doing her thing. She bought the Sailright sewing machine and made jerry can covers, hatch covers, and is now ready to start cockpit cushions. In addition, she investigated and purchased a small pressure cooker (Fagor...what a name!) and has since developed a score of tasty one-pot dinner recipes.

Desire is overflowing in her areas of competency, but totally lacking in the critical "save your life" areas such as return to port. She acknowledges the need but hasn't been willing to address them.

Could it be competition?...maybe. As teenagers, we married after high school, competed fiercely through college and have never stopped challenging each other since then. (she trounced me academically and financially) So, since both of us are competitive, there is a very real possibility that is the core issue. But wouldn't that cause her to demand training from a third party? I have suggested Woman-ship and other sailing courses, but there is no response.

Understand, limiting our cruising to coastal areas does minimize the "exposure" mentioned earlier. But she is more excited than I am about sailing to the bahamas fall 2012!!!

Actually, just verbalizing the issue here and considering your comments has helped clarify that more heart to heart discussion is needed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook