SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice needed, discipline...
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough
advice needed, discipline...

Guys,

I need advice here.

For the first time ever I entered my ship into a series of races. I am not an experienced racer, largely because my ship is heavy and a bit slow, but I entered anyway.

The rest of the crew were females, 4 of them.

One of the crew was rather bossy, and hogged the helm a lot. I was the captain, and being among 4 females, was polite.

It was not too long before I was having my orders countermanded by the helsmwoman. At the start, for example, the wind dropped and I made a headsail change, rather hurredly, otherwise we would have been nearly stopped. I said that this was my call. She tried to contermand it.

At the end, I missed the finishing mark, and had to go back round again. Once again, she countermanded it, wishing to press on. Inwardly, I got very angry. Eyes narrowed, I issued a direct order, and took the wheel forcibly. We went round again rather awkwardly, lumbering close-hauled into a swell to gain some distance to weather, then at last turning agian before the klaxon sounded indicating that we had finished.

I said we'd have to talk about it when we got to port.

There were other instances later, too.

Guys, I detest giving a direct order. In 19 years I must have issued about 4 of them.

Now, I am not Adolph Hitler, but some commands really have to be obeyed.

I spoke to other boat owners and they said not to tolerate such nonesense.

When I sailed the Atlantic, I obeyed everything my captain said, to the letter. I was the ship's owner, and in one heated argument with the first mate, I was ordered below. I obeyed immediately, such is the importance of respect for the ship. He and I laugh about it now. That obeyance is important to me, but not to all, it would appear.

So what do you do, guys? Do you raise your voice? What do you do to get a command obeyed in such circumstances?

Last edited by Rockter; 01-28-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook