SailNet Community - View Single Post - Storm trysail question
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Storm trysail question

After reading the heavy weather thread I thought I would do this in a separate thread because it is quite specific.

I have a storm trysail that I have never used in anger although I have put it up a couple of times. It has its own track that goes down to the deck - on occasions I have put the sail on the track and tied the bag down to the deck which works fine. I will likely do the same in the Indian Ocean and in particular from Mauritius to Durban which I understand can be particularly nasty.

Here is the question. The sail is set up to be attached to the boom rather than deck. There is a large solid eye on the boom for this and the sail has a long, substantial line attached to the clew. I have a rigid boom so I can't drop the boom to the deck in any case so I think it makes sense to use the boom and keep it under control. Question is, what is the best way to get the clew attached and tight? Because of the length of the line on the clew, it looks like it is designed to go through the eye on the boom and then come back to the mast - likely put it around the mast and then tie to a cleat there. Should I put it onto a winch to get it really tight? I am thinking that I would need to have the rest of the sail tied up in some way so that the wind cannot get it - even the bit that would be out would be under a lot of stress at >>40 knots. I think in most conditions that 40 knots is not an issue at all, I am thinking of this sail in the 45 to 60 knot range. Any thoughts?