SailNet Community - View Single Post - Planning for family cruise - looking for options
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
.... I guess I have been casually hearing (but not really acknowledging) that the jump off is a bit tough. Is there an actual 'route' that is the recommended track? What is the general method of doing the Caribbean? .
Known as the Thorny Path.. here's a google search result on the term.

Google

Island hopping can be a doddle, easy 40-50 mile daysails (usually) reaching in tradewind conditions, esp from Antigua/Barbuda pretty well all the way to Grenada. Great fun on a good boat.

But the long beat from Florida is often done strapped down and motorsailing upwind.. and it's a long way. (disclaimer..not done this myself, just going by what we hear) Doesn't sound like much fun.

Buying charter boats is an 'eyes wide open' proposition, some of them get a bit beat up, and the constant UV exposure tends to make them look older than they are. Hopefully finding one with a good outfit will make a difference.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook