SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opinions Please: 1940''s Wood vs. 1960''s Fiberglass
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2001

knome is on a distinguished road
Opinions Please: 1940''''s Wood vs. 1960''''s Fiberglass

I definitely don''t agree that having a fiberglass boat is necessarily better than a wooden boat, based solely on maintenance.

If you hole a fiberglass boat, it costs lots of $$ to fix. If you hole a wooden boat, you can fix it yourself with some lumber. If you bump a FG boat against the dock a little hard, you could crack the gel coat and end up paying $1000 to fix it, with a wooden boat its a simple patch.

In fact, that''s why wooden boats are so nice.. you can easily fix them yourself with cheap materials, and use techniques that are not hard to utilize (wood working techniques). Sure, it takes longer to maintain, but that''s only because FG boats can be ignored and they will still go through the water. Wooden boats are more finicky.

There is also the fact that you could buy an old wooden boat hull for cheap ($5k or less) and fix it up yourself. Lots of labor, but not alot in the way of materials.

It is definitely a personal preference issue, and you need to ask yourself, ''do I want to have the $$ and aesthetic advantages of owning a wooden boat, or do I just want to take a tub around the lake for a spin?''

--T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook