SailNet Community - View Single Post - Connect two different sized wire together?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Your right-not too different

Ok I did not realize the wires were so close to each other. I went to Marine Exchange and looked at the wire and saw (we ordered the wire over the web) size was not that different. We bought some connectors to use and we have the good heat shrink with the glue in it. We may need to get a few more connectors a size up for doubling up some wire. We have a hydraulic crimping too we got at Harbor Freight we can use for this job. We bought it for the anchor windlass connectors and thought it was a onetime use but we still have it. We actually gave it to a family member but borrowed it back
Any way we have been doing so much work with battery cables I just thought this wire was heavier like a 4 awg for some reason.
We will crimp the wires and not cut any strands down. May have to double over the #10 but will see. Let you know how it goes. The reason for the larger wires is for the longer run and we do not want to defeat that.

This pic shows the connectors we got so far. There is a on\off switch we need to wire also and through a 50 AMP fuse on the battery to 8 awg wire.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook