SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?

35K views 236 replies 63 participants last post by  emcentar 
#1 ·
Sailing is so sexist that the ladies here feel too inferior to post?

They are treated rudely or not taken seriously?

Anything they say is invalidated?

OK to rant Ladies!

Reactions: messer999
#224 ·
Hey, Zee, I keep hearing "we" and from the sounds of it, you have a new partner aboard. Cool. I checked out Barra de Navidad on Google Earth since I'd never heard of it, and it looks like the marina is very ultra nice! Is it expensive to stay at that marina? The motel is huge and pretty amazing. For the rich folk. :) I remember when you wrote your sailnet entries from Mazatlan earlier in the year. Now you're almost back there. I remember you saying you were (pleasantly) stuck there because of something you needed to fix on the boat. Wow, time flies. Then you're on to Golfo de CA. Are you going to go meet with the guy who was the previous owner of your boat? That would be pretty awesome to meet him. Lots of stories to share between you two. Have fun, and would love to know how these places fare as stopping points. You're quite the sailor, lady. I admire you for that! I'm not sure what I am yet...living on a boat does not make me a sailor, but at least I'm getting my seal legs. Now I'm having a problem on land...feel like I'm moving all the time. Haha. I'm an in-betweener now. :)

#225 · (Edited)
no partner, just me n my gato--sometimes a friend helps, bu tno partner...have a slave boy who does mechanic work occasionally, and repairs boats well, but no partner...ialready met a previous owner--he was a jerk..lol..aggro drunk--said he had this boat 20 yrs when he only owned it 4 yrs and left it on a breakwall in santa barbara for someone else to salvage and refit poorly--he was an interesting guy....the fella i have mortgage with gets my ericson in june 2014, and i ant worried about nothing...i will spend some time with mazatlan friends --mebbe 2 weeks , dont know yet--then on into golfo de california for more repairs...
i dont know about the marina--i hear it is very pricey--i will be anchored in the lagoon. with the skeeters....lol

#226 ·
Oh well, you know, those animals make darned good partners if you ask me. I had two dogs that were my best buds and they're both gone now...I miss them so much. My hubby's a good guy, and I'm happy with his most times. I still miss my dogs though.

I can't believe that guy who used to own your boat was such a lier and a dirt bag for leaving his ship. Geez. Too bad. I bet it WAS interesting. But not THAT interesting. Suppose you were very happy to leave there.

I asked Paul what type of anchors we have and he said a Danforth and a Plow. I don't know if these are all that great or not. From what he said, the Danforth isn't all that good in grasses. But we'll have the Plow to do that...and hopefully it'll work ok.

Give Bubbadaboatcat a big squeeze for me.

#227 · (Edited)
my primary is a bruce, original bruce, and my secondary is a original cqr. both are good. is a lil trickier to set the cqr--the bruce sets most dramatically...lol..i love it

danforth makes a great kedge anchor for getting off shoals and for lunch and for second anchor use.. i own a few anchors--danforth x 2, one for dinghy and one for boat, mushroom for dink, yachtsman/fisherman for coral or wtf, and my 2 on bow, cqr and bruce.
i use all chain rode for safety and security

guy who used to own boat was like the others---negligent--isall good--i own her now andis improving as she goes..love her..is a good boat.

bubba says meouw to ye--he is sulking due to lack of fancy feast in am...he is fat--is on a diet, and sulking.

#228 ·
Wow, you do have a lot of anchors!! We'll probably acquire more as we go. Thanks for the description of what you use them for...that helps to know. Doesn't all chain rode weigh your boat down? What size boat is your solitary bird? Ours is a 36'. It's a racer (not because we race, but because I liked her and she was affordable.) She's not as broad due to her being a racer, but she's cozy. I like cozy. Wouldn't mind having a bit bigger boat though for extra storage...but, as you say, is all good. Work with what we've got.

Poor Bubba! haha!! I know how it feels to diet...am doing that now and miss my tasty food, too. /:( He'll be a super happy cat when he gets more fancy feast. He'll be charging towards his fancy feast food and gobble it down in less than a minute! :)

Off to the chiropractor this morning...Paul has a really bad back...has broken it twice, and we've found that boat work can be hard on the back. Does he stop when it starts to hurt? NOOOOO! So off we go to the chiropractor.

#229 · (Edited)
my formosa is only 9 000 pounds lighter than spec--is spozed to be 34000 pounds. i dont mind weight on my boat--it takes over 1000 pounds to make any difference in the boat, so isnt like a huge deal. i like weight in my boats--smoother ride....as long as weight is distributed properly, is no big deal.

heavy stern makes bow pound. weight on ends is hobbyhorsing. i get a lurching roll when tankage is empty. so i dont mind extra ballast

bubba is ignoring me

formosa 41--40.9 documented ft, per documentation, so is what i pay mexirent on. 28000 pounds displacement , empty...41x12.2x6'6"

#230 ·
Nice big boat! Ours is 36x11.11x4'8" and Sea Casa weighs 15,000 (6K of that is in the keel). What is mexirent like per foot? Hopefully not too bad.

Is Bubba wanting his fancy feast? That's why he's ignoring you, huh? Stinker! Cats are definitely tempermental and will tell you in some way or other that they're unhappy.

We're thinking about putting more chain, but it's pricey and we may need to just go with the line and the chain is about 38'. Total of about 140'. We're also thinking of maybe picking up an third anchor, but maybe they're less expensive in other countries? Maybe not, too. I know anything imported is pricier than in the U.S. I can see what you mean about the extra ballast keeping the boat more steady and sailing smoother. Makes total sense to me.

Hope you're having a calm evening. Where are you docked/moored/anchored right now? What's the weather like? It was so nice here in Kemah today. We had low 70 degrees, a bit of cool wind, and lovely sky. It's supposed to get chilly in the next couple of days, so time to put back on the long sleeves and jeans. I like it a little cool though. Love to snuggle into the blankets. Since we moved over here and on the boat at end of January, the weather has been mostly like spring. March had some strong winds, but not a lot of rain.
I know when one sails, weather becomes very important. I've always watched the weather, mainly because I used to have a small landscaping business in Santa Fe, NM and had to be aware of weather conditions all the time. Enjoy maps, weather, stuff like that.

Sleep well tonight.

Diane

#231 · (Edited)
ok find a barrel end with over 200 ft of chain. buy it. it will b cheaper than buying from a new barrel...lol--is a trade secret,,,you do NOT want to cruise mexico with rope rode--you WILL lose boat. chafe happens fast with rocks, and so far, more than 3 boats broke loose in la cruz de huanacaxtle anchorage this year from chafed rope rode. do not use that.

if you stop in san diego, buy the chain in downwind marine--tell them i sent ye...tell chris frost hay from me. ask for the friends of downwind marine discount. it also works in sailing supply and san diego marine exchange. good folks. decent pricing.

if you do not have a windlass, you may find you do neeed one--manual is decent, but electric with remote rock.spoils ye stinkfaced....mine has n0 remote, but it will do..modifications in progress....buy used.
used anchors should be under 200 usd. you will need more than 200 ft rode total...i use 160 ft regularly due to sell and storms. wind and surf make drgging anchor a tune to sing daily in some places. more chain helps that to not happen. buy a genuine bruce anchor--get oversized--about 25 kg. approx 50 pounds. with the 5/16 chain you will be happy and sleep at night. that is important. remember we have tides and currents and winds.

speaking of wind--whenye sail south down baja peninsula, there can be some chubasco activity north of cabo san lucas--fly reefed sails from cedros to cabo--especially at at night//--chubascos like early morning hours. we got hit at 0400 with 60 kts--was awesome!! this brick flew at 8.4kts boat speed..loved it..minor damage only--wood taff broke from strain of preventing mizzen to it--now i use hawse--if that breaks i am in biiiigger trouble than i want..lol

bubba will adapt, eventually..is a 7 yr old fat boy with heart and furrrrrzz--excellent gato.

we are still anchored in zihuatenejo bay=--will be headed to barra de navidad in less than a week, spozedly--is late in season for north movement, but we gonna do it. i willmostly be anchoed exceot during the hottst months, when i will rent a slip in somewhere in golfo de california...
rent is variable, in summer some places go to 22-36 cents per foot per day--is compounded daily. makes monthly rent between 370 and 900 usd monthly, depending on season and locale. i dont know baja...i try to remain out of slips as i need repairs done and i cannot afford both rent and repairs..all is seasonal here. summer is low season, winter is high season. high season rates are absurdly high.

latitude 17 has perfect winter weather. absolutely perfect.

#232 ·
Zee, you can anchor in san Carlos and get spares, work done etc...visa runs to the North easy from here also. Spent a summer in the Sea in 2000, WOW! great place!

#233 ·
have fm3 already--will be second renewal in october. havent had to leave mexico for these renewals yet.

i dont leave my boat, and i have a repair slave...lol..awesome worker--my family lives in phoenix, so they can send stuff, but i need an address--also i need a soc chip for my garmin gps--i will have to have my brother send it to me in mazatlan i htink....with my document papers..lol unless those dont come back until i get to topo....love this life--plans only include documentation and mailing of packages..lol

#234 ·
Hey there,

I wrote you a long post after I received your last message and for some reason, the inet just kicked me out. GRRR. Then we got real busy for several days. I see what you're saying about the chain. We've talked about it since you wrote to us about it. We're just not sure where to go to find a end chain barrel. We'll keep looking though.

Do you sew things for your boat? Do you carry a sewing machine? It's been very interesting to me to see so many men become very good at sewing. Never see that with other kinds of professions/sports/whatever. Right now I'm sewing up some anti-bug screens to cover the hatches...it's for the summer when it gets hot here and we need all windows/hatches open. Learn as I go. Found the name of a woman who trains women to sail on her boat for free. Am trying to get in touch with her so I can be one of her crew. Need more experience, and it would be nice to be with and be trained by women.

Went to the Galveston Art Walk the other night...some fine artists and some ok. It's a little like New Orleans there...on a very small scale. Just don't hear the jazz...more like rock n roll.

I've never heard of compounding the price of the boat per day. That's really different. We pay a flat $380/mo here at the Waterford Harbor Marina, and we usually average about $15-25/mo electric fees. It's always been less than $500. (We usually eat at their restaurant several times a month and they put that on our tab, along with several other things.) Paul thought that $.22-.36 per ft per day. If they compound it, it wouldn't make me want to stay on long, though.

We have talked with several others about the Bruce anchor and get the same feedback...it's one of the best anchors. I'm sure it all depends on what you're anchoring in.
We'll be looking for one of those at the "Boat Resale" shop up the road. We have one windlass that is a push button from the cockpit. I like that...messed up my wrist about 10 years ago and it's never been strong since.

I think we only have 140 ft of rode. About 35 ft of that is chain.

Probably won't be stopping in San Diego...although I have friends and family around that area. I used to live there...in El Cajon, then in La Mesa, then up above hotel circle in the Friar's Village condo's when my mom owned a condo there. It's gotten too busy for me now. I was born in Santa Monica (moons ago! lol) and grew up in LA and Bakersfield. I really don't care to return anymore. Too crowded. I have lots of good memories from there though...and I'll never forget them.

I know what you mean about not being able to afford both a slip and repairs. Both together can wipe out the old pocketbook. It makes sense to anchor sometimes to save money while fixing the boat.

Is latitude 17 where you are located now? Or is that up in the Golfo?

#235 ·
wherever chain is sold it is sold by the barrel.. received and sold inbarrels...when folks buy it, sometimes they dont want a whole barrel,, as that can be a lot of chain---so if you ask for the end of the barrel--and it has a buncha feet in it like i got at downwind marine---which is in san diego--near the police run municipal docks, then ye can arrange to buy some from down wind marine. that is the easy way.....

for mexico, bruce rocks --works best--make sure it is an original bruce. not a knock off. you will need about 200 ft of chain, or 250. 250 is safer. rope to chain chafes off and boat gets lost--lots of rocky bottom stuff here.

if i had a sewing machine i would make stuff for the boat, yes. i dont own one yet.

zihuatenejo is latitude 17. golfo de california is 28 or 29 or so...coldville, in winter.

#236 ·
After my post Diane had asked how long I had been sailing, where I am, etc. I'm currently in Annapolis, MD, having just returned from Ft. Myers (on the West Coast of Florida) via the Florida Keys (stopping @ Marathon and in Key Largo). I came up the East Coast, partially on the ICW and partially using the Gulf Stream to make some time coming North. I'm a "snow bird", traveling South in the Winter and North in the Summer. I've been a full time live aboard for going on 3 years plus now. Prior to that, I did some coastal cruising, mostly along the Outer Banks of N.C., for about a year or so. Before that, I sailed on a large lake close to where I'm from for about a year or so. So, all together, I've been sailing about 5 to 6 years. I decided to become a live aboard after spending time on the lake and sailing around the Outer banks. I would really enjoy meeting other live aboards in the Annapolis area. I'll be here until around early Sewptember when I'll begin my treck South again. I plan to go to the Bahamas this fall, jumping off from the Lake Worth area. Thanks to all of you that posted encouraging and positive remarks. They are greatly appreciated!

"A pessimist complains about the wind. An optomist hopes the wind will change. A leader adjusts the sails"

#237 ·
On the original topic, I have noticed in other internet forums that when the gender balance tips too far in either direction, the tone of the board can suffer. It gets a little too gendered, and the minority gender starts to feel out of place and abandons ship. And it can be either gender. I used to belong to a great board where the gender balance tipped female. It sustained itself for a while, but men continued to appear and leave, while the women stayed around, and now it's almost all women. I don't think men feel too comfortable there.

The same is true of clubs. I used to belong to a great running club, with approximately equal members of men and women. Then I joined the same club in a different city. "Thank god, a girl!" they said, "We've been looking for more women." Then they introduced me to the only other girl who had showed up for the run - also her first day - and we ran together alone as they took off. When I showed up the next week, there were no women, and no one ran with me. Almost 10 years later, they still have no women in that club and I'm not surprised..

I have to say though, Sailnet is clearly a great resource and I've gotten wonderful advice here. But it's the only board where I feel the need to be closeted about my gender in most of my posts. One does get the sense - rightly or wrongly - around here that women aren't taken very seriously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.