SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice needed, discipline...
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
It gets bit tricky when I am asked to skipper someone else's boat. I tell them that if they are not comfortable with what I am doing, let me know.

In this thread skipper/owner = one person.
I had a situation where I asked a couple of sailors to help me deliver (at no cost) my recently purchased boat about 70 miles in open ocean, as I did not feel comfotable sailing this alone on a new boat knowing somthing may break along the way and I would need some help handling the boat. I also did not know the local waters well. I was very happy to have the extra hands and help aboard. Did have some engine problems along the way and it was great to have someone handle the boat while I fixed the engine. We did have a slight navigation problem. I had a working chart plotter, but the most experience hand did not pay much attention to it. He also like running very close to coral reefs. Up until this time I was allowing the most experienced sailor to call the shots, although we never had a formal discussion as to who was captain. It got to the point though where we were about to run aground on coral and I said we need to tack. Later the experienced sailor had us going into an area he thought was a harbor, but our location was incorrect (as I had to point out to him on the chartplotter), we almost ran aground again.

I was greatful that these two sailors helped me deliver the boat, and I could not have done it without them, but how do you handle a situation that you either hire or have someone come on the boat at no charge to skipper your boat. What if this "skipper" is potentially putting the boat and crew in danger, how do you regain control? What are your thoughts on the situation where the boat owner designates someone (supposedly more experienced) to be skipper, but to later find this skipper is putting the boat in danger- whom is ultimately responsible- the owner or designated skipper?

Last edited by casey1999; 01-30-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook