SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing To The Galapagos Islands
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012

Galapagos1 is on a distinguished road
Sailing To The Galapagos Islands

Hello everyone I'm looking for a lot of advice on the feasibility of something like this:

I used to be a small sailboat racer for nearly ten years and did very well back in the day sailing optimists, lasers and other small two handed sailboats. I have some 'big-boat' experience, however not that much.

I am looking into the possibility of sailing from the Californian coast down to the Galapagos islands, spending some time down there and then returning back home and maybe making a stop along the way such as in Cabo, Mexico as this seems to be my dream vacation as far as I can think of.

It would be me and a friend doing all of this. I don't have a budget laid out for this yet, but I would imagine I'd like to spend around $25k buying a used sailboat and then some more cash for supplies that I would imagine that I would need for a trip like this.

Is this reasonable? Do I need to spend more/less on the sailboat? What are the big things I would need to learn and have to be able to complete something like this?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook