SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is the sailboat market really this bad?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012

tra is on a distinguished road
The marina where I keep my boat has several abandoned boats. They just take up space and bring no income. Some have been there for several years. Most are "sunk on land" They are full of rancid water from rain and snow. The interior wood is rotten or delaminated. Things like cushions are useless. Cost to save the the boat is more than the boat is worth. The marina has to pay big bucks to get rid of the boat. It's hazardus waste.

Having said that, I would go to marinas and look at boats in the storage yards. If the registration sticker is more than a year old, say 2010, I'd go to the office and ask. There may be a mechanic lien on the boat. You should dress and present your self as a pratical and responsible person. More than one person has adopted a boat and walked away when he found out how much work it became. Offer 6 mos or a years slip fee up front. That will surely get their attention.They know who's late on their rent. Make sure the marina allows you to work on your boat!

When I store my boat, the first thing I do after it's been set is pull the hose off the lowest through hull ball valve and open it. That way if a 4' snowfall and freezing temps hit my boat won't sink on land and become worthless. There are sites that will give a check list for your own survey, delaminated decks, rotted bulkheads, bad keelbolts, mechanical issues. bad sails. Happy hunting, I wish I could be there, it's fun.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook