SailNet Community - View Single Post - Palmer Engine
Thread: Palmer Engine
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
The Palmer gasoline engines are pretty cool, old, simple engines. A distant cousin to my Atomic 4 in some ways.
For starters you can ignore postings from people who say they do not have a gasoline engine on their boat.
40 year old gasoline engines were not engineered for lead free gas with ethanol as a bogus additive of up to 10%. When we got our Atomic 4 that came with our 43 year old Tartan 27' the previous owner (PO) left a can of lead substitute on board and I think our old engine likes it. I'm not sure about the Palmer but for the Atomic 3 or 4 we also routinely put some Marvel Mystery Oil (~ 5W light oil) in the gas and even into the cylinders for extra lubrication and rust protection.
As previously suggested it would be nice to be able to use non-ethanol tainted gasoline but that is not always possible, easy or cheap (unless you have access to a recreational airfield).
The photo below shows the last gallon or so I pumped out of our 20 gallon fuel tank after nearly 10 years of using E-10 gasoline that mostly sat around. The black stuff on the bottom is mostly water and I'm not even sure if my engine could burn the amber stuff sitting on top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dirtyfuel.jpg (72.1 KB, 67 views)

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook