SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opinions Please: 1940''s Wood vs. 1960''s Fiberglass
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Opinions Please: 1940''''s Wood vs. 1960''''s Fiberglass

While I basically agree with much of what you say, having replaced a few planks in my day, I can tell you that is not light duty to do well. Matching thickness and getting a fair shape can be a pretty big job. Also proper planking stock is anything but cheap.

I think that the damaged plankingvs punctured fiberglass example is a good one. It demonstates the difference between maintainable and low maintenance. In the case of the glass boat, while things are in good shape they are little easier to maintain but once things go really wrong (major delamination or bonding failures) there is only so much that you can do to restore a glass boat to its original condition. On the other hand, you can pretty much replace parts on a wooden boat forever. So if you crack a plank you simply replace it and you are good as new as long as the boat has not been refastened and so the frames are ''fastening sick'' and need to be sistered which can be done but that usually means removing the interior, which can be done unless it was glued and screwed, in which case it can be replaced....but you see what I mean.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook