SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looked at a Valiant 40 Today
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I may be off base on this - if I am I'm certain I will soon be corrected, but IIRC Valiant had a unique position in the history of blisters in that the Parent corporation, Uniflite, used a fire retardant resin that was particularly prone to blistering.
You're on track...Valiants from roughly 1976 - 1980 used a fire retardant resin that never really kicked with the glass and tends to wick out and form hundreds of pimple blisters. Some have said this is cosmetic and other say structural. The legal issues around this failure led to the bankruptcy of the Uniflite yard, and the eventual buyout of Valiant by a dealer who relocated to Texas. Unfortunately, they stopped production in Jan-2011

I dont really know about the whole blister situation...the very thought of resin not kicking and not bonding with the glass makes me think that the structural integrity of the glasswork is not as strong as it should be, which is scary. But then again, there are no stories of Valiants splitting in two or being holed by a structural blister...just lots of time in the yard grinding, filling, fairing, & painting. Valiants are out there plying the seas as we speak...although it seems more and more are now in port, tired and worn out looking for a full refit that may never happen because the cost wouldn't justify the return due to depressed resale values because of the economy and blister issues.

Last edited by night0wl; 01-31-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook