SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looked at a Valiant 40 Today
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
All the more reason that the Valiant 40 may be the "diamond in the rough"...a proven pedigree no doubt, bought for a song, breathed new life by an enthusiastic adventurer who understands that the sum of the parts are worth more the whole...why is is that every everybody seems to know the cost but not the price....it works both ways. seen many a Valiant plying the distant seas, more then one owner I know who is laughing his head off about the bargain he got and the miles he's put on...Easy for the naysayers to wax their gobs off on this stout sailing vessel....
Thats one perspective. But many people think of cruising for 4-5 years and then need to sell the boat to get back into life on land. When you spent $60k buying a boat, poured in another $100k to deal with upgrading and blister jobs...finish your cruise and find that the boat is worth $80k at resale minus brokerage costs, it tough gruel to swallow.

Valiants are fabulous boats, they're on my short list. But I'd be looking for one thats already has a blister bottom peel already done with a nice set of cruising gear already included thats in relatively new shape (<5 years). One of these boats comes up for sale every year...