SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good Georgian Bay port for a Sailboat
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
As has been said: Midland/Penetang are easily accessible from TO. Lot's of crowds and sometimes crowded anchorages - but you hav a lot of choices.
There are some nice spots all around Beausoleil Island, Bone Island, Languisa (sp?) etc. It only takes about 5ish hours to get over to Hope Island, Beckwith Island, Christian Island. Or you can head up the small craft through Monument Channel, Indian Harbour etc. Getting as far as 12-mile Bay in a day is easily doable.
If you look a bit further up (around Killbear etc.) you can get into some nice areas like Franklin Island (Regatta Bay etc.) and Shawanaga, and it's not a big struggle to get down to Sans Succi and the Massassauga.
You kind of have to skip from Midland to the other side of Parry Sound. There are some nice spots in between but it takes a bit to get 'outside'.
I would avoid the southern Bay (Collingwood, Meaford etc.) I don't find the sailing as interesting there (scenery wise).
The West side of the Bay (from Wiarton up to Cabot Head) is very scenic, but there aren't as many little anchorages as there are on the East side.
Just my opinion.....

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau

Last edited by flyingwelshman; 01-31-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Change 'Killarny' to 'Killbear' - a bit of a difference!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook