SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rod Rigging
Thread: Rod Rigging
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
I have heard you should inspect rod rigging after 50,000 miles (a lot) or 5 years, and especially the rod heads and end fittings. Obviously you would replace the heads that are cracked or worn and the rod would be re-headed. I would also replace the turnbuckle screws.

I don't know why Lin and Larry would say that "it has absolutely no place on an offshore passagemaker. " I would think an offshore sailor would regularly inspect the rigging and include the end fittings. And why would cruising high-end makers like Valiant and Hallberg-Rassey use them? It's more expensive, not less, so it isn't to save on costs.

Rod is of course only one strand, so at any time it is either continuous or broken. If there are any riggers on here, I would like to know if they have ever found a piece of rod that is cracked or broken. I suspect the "failures" cited are really failures of the fittings.