SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue water cruiser - Walkabout questions
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=Axel614;824687]Goodmorning everyone,
my name is Alessandro Suardi and I work in XXXXXXXXXXXX as a product manager.

This post is to ask you which are the best qualities required to a boat to be a bestseller blue water cruiser.

What are you ideas? Looking forward reading them!

Always trade winds!

Alessandro
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Removed links and Commercial Information in violation of Forum rules. Jeff_H [quote]

Long keel, attached rudder (don't trust new ideas like spade rudders) heavy, and preferably 30+ years old to fit the budget.

Unfortunately there is more truth to the above than you would imagine. There is a recent thread on Sailnet where some boast about the blistering speed of the Westsail 32, a design as modern as some will tolerate.

But seriously, the keel on the Walkabout looks more vulnerable than any I have ever seen.

It is advanced in some ways - design, laminations - but archaic in using plywood in way of fastenings as many builders did decades ago - and shouldn't have.

Not the type of boat that sells in the North American market.

In the European market I think RM (plywood epoxy - twin keels to please the above poster - and Pogo (Pogo 12.50 elected European performance sailboat of 2012) show this type of boat has a market. But I would much sooner have a keel as in the Pogo than the line catcher on the Walkabout.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-01-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Removed links and Commercial Information in violation of Forum rules.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook